This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The way to do things, aka custom
A welcoming ceremony on the Marae
The locals who a have a relationship with theMarae
Visitors to the Marae
People who live in the Marae
Sense of connection and belonging
Respect for people's well being
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is……...